Halloween Candy and Our Kids’ Teeth
October 26, 2016
Halloween is a fun time for kids and we think they should really enjoy it! Following a few tips during this time can offset future cavities:
- Let them have (some) candy! But make sure they brush after they indulge!
- Avoid letting your kids eat hard candy such as Jolly Ranchers. Hard candy stays in their mouth longer and lets sugar stay on teeth too long. This destroys enamel.
- Avoid sticky candy such as fruit snacks. Although they seem healthy, fruit snacks are sticky and get lodged into teeth crevices and tend to stay on the enamel too long.
- Avoid sugar sticks. The yummy sugar sticks are bad because they keep sugar on the teeth too long. Again, enamel is broken down causing tooth decay.
- If your child does receive a lot of candy, please give them only a little at a time and preferably after meals so that way they are not eating candy on and off all day. Then make sure they brush and rinse.